Equine Rhabdomyolysis Syndrome (ERS) is a metabolic disorder that is linked to glycogen accumulation during rest.
It is thought that glycogen accumulation increases muscle cell volume which in turn decreases capillary perfusion of muscle.
During exercise a lack of oxygen results in a build up of lactic acid which causes swelling of the muscle cells and therefore capillary constriction. Anoxia (lack of oxygen to the muscles) causes degeneration of muscle fibres. This is why Equine Rhabdomyolysis results in muscle pain and in severe cases permanent damage.
Symptoms of Equine Rhabdomyolysis Syndrome
The clinical symptoms of Equine Rhabdomyolysis include;
- Swollen, hard and sensitive gluteal muscles
- Reluctance to move
- Progressively shorter strides
- General signs of distress
Myoglobinuria may also occur; this is when myoglobin is present in urine. Myoglobin is released as result of muscle damage and reaches the kidneys via the blood stream. This can lead to discoloration of the urine and in severe cases myoglobin may damage the kidneys leading to renal failure.
The onset of Equine Rhabdomyolysis usually occurs early on during exercise, after hard exercise or during a period of rest accompanied by high energy intake.
Can Niagara Equissage help with Equine Rhabdomyolysis?
Yes it can – but it must not be used until your veterinary surgeon has seen the horse. This is because if the massaging effect has a stimulatory effect on the kidneys but kidney function is impaired either by the presence of myoglobin and/or constriction of muscles, then use of Niagara Equissage will make the situation worse and cause more distress and discomfort especially if the horse wants to pass urine but is unable to do so.
However once the vet has administered drugs to relieve pain and help to promote muscular relaxation, and is happy with regard to kidney function, then Niagara Equissage can be used to encourage further muscle relaxation – although on a low setting (No. 2-No.3) to as not to have an over-stimulatory effect before the body can cope.
Once blood tests are satisfactory, then normal usage can commence. Using Niagara Equissage will help to promote correct kidney function, work to eliminate any remaining excess lactic acid and promote repair to damaged muscle fibres and capillaries.
For equine rhabdomyolysis treatment, use the Back Pad for its 20 minute cycle but for just once a day. Using too often could over-stimulate kidney function and you do not want to put these already compromised organs under additional strain. The setting wants to be low to medium as a higher setting could cause too much activity within the body and encourage excess urination; treatment is aimed at restoring normal kidney function and muscular relaxation.
Niagara Equissage by its very design is a stimulatory tool so it is important in Rhabdomyolysis cases not to be tempted to try and speed up the healing process. Although just 20 minutes a day does not seem very much, the effects of a Niagara Equissage treatment continue in the body for several hours after the initial 20 minute cycle.
Once the horse is restored to health, then either a daily session can be maintained as part of your management programme or on alternate days to help reduce the risk of future Rhabdomyolysis occurrences.
Point to Note: Be sure that your feeding is in line with the work your horse is doing.
- “Niagara Equissage is an important part of our training program. We use it everyday, especially before working both young and old horses. It helps them loosen up and be comfortable and ready to work. It helps our show horses go better, and improves the demeanor of our school horses. The results we get from the Niagara Equissage on our 23 year old horse are fabulous.”
- The pony was qualified for the Horse of The Year Show in England, but was ill with a virus 10 days before the show and the vet advised not traveling. 50 ml/day of Brandes Formula and a week later the bloods were dramatically improved and the decision made to travel, albeit later than intended. The pony had to be ridden by an English rider for qualification reasons, and Christie Prichard had not sat on him till 20 minutes before the class. They jumped one of only 5 clear rounds, and then won the Jump Off to be crowned Pony Of The Year. Without Brandes Formula we would not even have been at the show. As it turned out he looked great, jumped superbly, and thanks to Brandes Formula our dream has come true.
- Team Fredericks Eventing
Over the past few years our results have been fantastic, with many top wins. This last season has included Olympic Team silver for Australia and winning the World Cup of Eventing for the second time, only 6 weeks after the Olympic Games in China! It’s vital that the horses remain healthy and happy if they are to perform at their best consistently. Two products have proven to be invaluable – AfterAce and Brandes Formula.